DOWN TO EARTH







It was only in my teens that I became aware of a country called Israel. Someone introduced me to a Zionist movement - and that was the major turning point  in my life. I eventually joined a training farm in England run by the movement . My goal was to eventually become part of an agricultural community in Israel. My farming experience in England was centered around the cowshed where I had become very proficient in milking cows.

I emigrated at the end of 1954 but, by the time I was able to join a moshav in 1960, I was already married with two small children aged three and one-and-a-half years old. Neither my husband nor myself knew anything about farming but we were both determined to become pioneers.

The moshav, which had just been founded, was located in the northen Negev. We had no financial means but were helped by the government who wanted to develop the country, especially the Negev. It was like a barren wilderness with nothing but bare land. Today, it is a thriving community with abundant greenery although, with everything now mass produced, it is impossible for small farms to make a living.

A moshav is like a kibbutz which, in those days, was based solely on farming. The difference between the two farming communities was that on a moshav every family  has its own home and plot of land, though all the services and cultural activities are communal. Unfortunately, there is no communal kitchen and dining room on a moshav! The kibbutz motto that stated that everyone gives according to his/her ability but has equal standing, does not apply any more. Most kibbutzim have since become privatized, but they were very necessary at the beginning of the State in order to develop the land. Today, moshavim, as well as kibbutzim, have to possess some form of industry in order to survive.

We were very isolated at the time, with only a dirt road and situated three- and- a- half kilometres from the main road. The nearest town was Be’er Sheba which is 40+ kilometres away and no public transport to get there. Nobody owned any private means of transport although I did have a bicycle which, at least, got me to the small grocery store in the moshav. I used to put one child on the front and the other at the back. I still can’t remember where I put my groceries.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GRANDMA'S ARMY IN EMOTIONAL DISTRESS

GRANDMA'S ARMY IN DANGER

GRANDMA'S ARMY AT WAR