GRANDSONS IN UNIFORM



Azriel’s son, Meir, who is serving in the IDF at the present time, is the youngest son of his five children and the fourth in line to serve in the army. His oldest son, Yair, is still in the airforce and youngest sister is due to do her army service in a year’s time. Meir (whom we all call “Memi”) will tell you in approximately his own words (originally in Hebrew) how he feels as a soldier in the IDF.

"I joined the Israeli Defense Forces a year and eight months ago. Recently I completed a course  in a special commando unit in the Golani regiment.  I chose to serve in this particular unit when I was first recruited. In order to be accepted I had to go through a series of tough exercises and challenges, accompanied by a very strict selection process. I opted to serve in Golani since it was the same regiment in which my father served many years ago
My joining the  IDF was motivated by the wish to contribute as much as possible to the good of my country. Also, in order to fulfil my potential the best way I can.

I have been accepted to the officer’s course, due to begin in  March. This will mean serving another two years, in addition to the regular army duty of  three years.  As a commanding officer I will have the authority of making  certain changes in my own unit  and perhaps in the army in general. I believe I have the necessary capabilities  for serving in this capacity and, in addition, it will pave the way for promotion if I decide to make the army into a career.

I get tremendous satisfaction in what I do. The army training has boosted my self-confidence and  helped me mature. It has proved to myself that I have the capability to overcome difficult assignments. My fellow soldiers are made up of the very best. Apart from being decent human beings, they are also true comrades. I have just returned from a trip together with all the other members of my unit and everyone we met was highly impressed with our  manners and thoughtfulness.
Most of what we do is strictly confidential. One of the most well-known missions, “Project Shlomo”, took place a few years ago. In light of the dangerous political destabilization in Ethiopia at the time, World Jewish organizations and Israel were concerned about the well-being of the Ethiopian Jews, known as Beta Israel. In 1990, the Israeli government and Israeli Defense Forces, made secret plans to airlift the Jews to Israel”.
Operation Solomon was a covert Israeli military operation which took placed from May 24 to May 25, 1991. Non-stop flights of 35 Israeli aircraft, including Israeli Air Force C-130s and El Al Boeing 747s, transported 14,325 Ethiopian Jews to Israel in 36 hours!
In order to accommodate as many people as possible, airplanes were stripped of their seats and up to 1,122 passengers were boarded on a single plane. Many of the immigrants came with nothing except their clothes and cooking instruments, and were met by ambulances, with 140 frail passengers receiving medical care on the tarmac. Several pregnant women gave birth on the plane, and they and their babies were rushed to the hospital.

“What differentiates the IDF from other armies are the various activities it has initiated which are not connected to basic army requirements. It is a “People”s army” and  treats everyone equally. It helps to instill values and to turn its youth into mature and responsible human beings. Some of its activities include: completing high school certificates, conversions to Judaism, Hebrew lessons, framework for “at-risk” youth, etc.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GRANDMA'S ARMY IN EMOTIONAL DISTRESS

GRANDMA'S ARMY IN DANGER

GRANDMA'S ARMY AT WAR